Pages

Saturday 13 February 2021

Sam Purposefully Putting Herself In A Narrator Role? In My Shakespeare Festival?

 It's more likely than you'd think.

Because this year, I'm directing! Last year, we self-directed but that was a little different. And a part of directing is having a directors process. I will be blogging this process because level 2 ncea exists :)

The first part of putting on a play is getting a script. We will be putting on a play within a play or, more formally, Act 5 Scene 1 from A Midsummer Night's Dream. I got my script from MIT's Shakespeare website and basically just edited down the parts I didn't think were needed, just to make it that little bit more digestible, for both the audience and my actors. 

Speaking of my actors, casting is perhaps the next important thing. All my friends are icons and were willing to put up with my horrendous bossiness for the next six weeks.  I already had ideas for who I wanted where, which was perfect as all of them agreed with my choices.
    The director in the piece presents the prologue, and as I still wanted to be apart of the piece myself, I thought it fitting that I would play the prologue myself. I also played the prologue when we did AMND in year 8, so I already had that little extra knowledge. For the actual characters, I cast Nadia as Pyramus. I originally wanted to put her in as Thisbe as we really need to start putting her in some more female roles but she was down for playing a guy again. As her scene partner, we have Jess as Thisbe. I just want to turn her into a drag queen. In all her short glory, I wanted Meagan as Wall. Purely for the short jokes and the 'hole in between the legs' jokes. In her Shakespearan debut as Lion is Kiera. I wanted someone sassy for this role and Kiera was totally up for it.
    Last of all our acting actors, but certainly not least, all the way from Riccarton high school, is Neve as Moonshine! As if she didn't have enough going on at any point in time, she was keen on helping us in our performance. I think she could really get the depressing vibes of Moonshine down easily. Also dogs.

I will see you soon for a quick run of concepts!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Samantha

    Sounds like you have a fabulous production underway. I work for Manaiakalani supporting secondary school professional development for teachers. I'm inspired by your post, written with such confidence and enthusiasm. As an educator, it's heartening to see you taking responsibility for your learning and shaping it the way you want to. Good luck! I'm sure it will be a success and a lot of fun for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.