Pages

Wednesday 14 February 2018

Deeper, Darker and Colder

In English, we were given the task to write a short story inspired by this VR/360 video:


Here is one of my first drafts. Obviously, it's not going to be perfect just yet. I hope you like it!
-
-
I can feel my body slowly losing more and more weight. My hair grazing against my face. The glisten from the surface of the water getting further and further away. I scream. nothing but bubbles come out. How did I get here? What is happening to me? I give up on swimming. Deeper and darker I go. My eyes sting more the longer I try to keep them open. I’m not alone. There are dolphins. A whole pod of them. Aren’t they supposed to be helpful when humans are in danger? Then again, am I truly in danger? Or am I dreaming? It feels like a dream. But if it was a dream, why does the pain in my chest feel so real?

Time is slowing down and everything is becoming darker. Things blur around me. Is it my head spinning or is there something going around me. My head is pounding faster than my heart. I up at my hands. They’re subconsciously reaching, no, clawing, towards the sun. I look down at my legs. The black cage that is my wetsuit is stuck to my legs and upper arms. It doesn’t help the pressure. It’s making me sink faster. I struggle to get it off, leaving me in my original bathing suit. A black one piece. That was… anticlimactic. As I realise hardly slowing down, I notice how deep down I truly am.

The thoughts spinning in my mind clog up my head. I realise these could be my last moments. I remember back to when someone told me that life can be a poem. Like life, a poem always finishes. But a poem is never truly over. It just stops moving... My life will never be over. I will just stop moving…

My vision begins to fade as my head spins faster. My heart pounding faster. The pain in my chest growing deeper. It seriously burns, like you’re swimming in hot lava. Have I really been holding my breath this whole time? I can’t hold it anymore. I let out a breath, inhaling nothing but the water around me. My attention is once again attracted towards the surface of the water, which I can barely see. There! There's a shape? The boat? It must be...


But there's something being dragged behind it...


Things get darker... Until there’s…


Nothing….


It’s cold… So cold...

I'm very open to feedback, so feel free to leave some!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.