Pages

Wednesday 14 February 2018

Musical Theatre - Behind The Scenes/Identifying Musicals

What you don't see when going to a live musical

Behind the scenes of a musical a lot more work goes on than you would think. Before a show both actors and crew members could spend 1 to 4 hours prepping before a show. Such as, the lighting crew would have to arrive about an hour to two hours before the show to make sure all the lighting and special effects will work for the show. Then maybe the actors/actoresses will be at the venue about 2 hours before to do makeup, costumes and warm ups. Now, that maybe before the show but during the show? That's chaos. People are running around trying to find costumes and props. After today, I'd have a new respect for people working in musical theatre.

Getting Inspired

Musical One: (Video here)
Name: Hamilton - An American 
What it's about: Hamilton as a whole is about the life of one of the lesser known founding fathers of America, Alexander Hamilton. It follows his life from around age 19 through to his death.
When was it first performed: 17 February 2015
Genre: Hip Hop/Rap and a whole assortment of genres.
If I was involved in this musical, I would play: Probably Peggy because she's so underrated but cool. In history she did a whole lot of great stuff. She's just a general great character. 

Musical Two: (Video)
Name: Dear Evan Hansen 
What it's about: An anxiety ridden high school student gets caught in a lie after saying he was friends with a fellow student after he commits suicide.
When it was first performed: July 10, 2015
Genre: Pop 
If I was involved in this musical, I would play: Maybe... Zoe Murphy? I'm not completely sure why, but I feel like she's an overall cool character

Musical Three: (Video)
Name: The Greatest Showman
What it's about:  Celebrating the birth of show business.
When it was first performed: 8 December 2017
Genre: Drama/Romance
If I was involved in this musical, I would play: I haven't seen this musical, so I'm not sure of any of the characters and their personalities. I was also unable to find descriptions of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.