Pages

Wednesday 1 August 2018

Let's Set These Quotes Straight.

While reading Wonder, I noticed that one of the quotes, that was at the beginning of each part, wasn't actually correct. So it made me wonder (ahahah roll credits) were any of the other quotes incorrect? Considering I finished my work ahead of the rest of the class, I took the opportunity to actually do some research and answer my question.


What was in Wonder - "Fate smiled and destiny laughed as she came to my cradle" - Natalie Merchant "Wonder"

The actual quote/the full quote -"Ooo, I believe, fate, fate smiled. And destiny laughed as she came to my cradle"

Note - I'll let this pass, considering the quote is technically correct and has just been shortened a little bit.


What was in Wonder - "Far above the world, planet earth is blue, and there's nothing I can do" - David Bowie "Space Oddity"

The actual quote/the full quote - "Far above the world. Planet Earth is blue. And there's nothing I can do"

Note - Okay, another pass. I was going to fail it but I realised there are different words in different parts of the song.


What was in Wonder -  You are beautiful no matter what they say, words can't bring you down, you are beautiful in every single way, yes words can't bring you down - Christina Aguilera "Beautiful"

The actual quote/the full quote - "You are beautiful, No matter what they say. Words can't bring you down, Oh no, You are beautiful, In every single way, Yes words can't bring you down, Oh no, So don't you bring me down today"

Note - Uhm, the author didn't do the full quote by missing the Oh nos and the 'So don't you bring me down today' but I'll let it pass. For now.


What was in Wonder - Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye - Antoine de Saint-Exupery "The Little Prince"

The actual quote/the full quote - "Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." or "Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Note - This was the quote that started this nightmare of a post. Now, It may be a translation issue but I'm going to fail it anyway.


What was in Wonder - Sometimes I think my head is so big because it is so full of dreams. - John Merrick in Bernard Pomerance's "The Elephant Man"

The actual quote/the full quote - "Sometimes I think my head is so big because it is so full of dreams,"



Note - Another pass. I have been played. The results aren't looking very good on my end.


What was in Wonder - What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god, the beauty of the world - Shakespeare "Hamlet"

The actual quote/the full quote - "What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world"

Note - ... I'm not giving up. I accept defeat but I've come this far.


What was in Wonder - I forgot that I might see so many beautiful things that I might need to find out what life could bring - Andain "Beautiful Things."

The actual quote/the full quote -  "I forgot that I might see. So many beautiful things. I forgot that I might need. To find out. What life could bring. Beautiful things"

Note - Hey, to be fair, I was just interested


What was in Wonder - "You're gonna reach the sky. Fly... Beautiful child". - Eurythmics "Beautiful Child"

The actual quote/the full quote - "You're gonna reach the sky. Fly. Beautiful child"

Note - I really don't have much to say anymore

I'm not going to ramble on about this, but long story short, I have been proven wrong. It was interesting to read though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.