Pages

Saturday 17 November 2018

Alphabet Story/4 Items, 1 Paragraph

Alphabet Story:

This one was a bit harder... I wasn't really able to get a full story, getting stuck when I got to the letter x.
Task:
  • Write a story about sitting in the food court of a busy shopping mall. 
  • Each word must start with the consecutive letter of the alphabet
  • If you run out of letters, go back to the start of the alphabet.

A blur. Chaos, dismay. Exits forgotten, gaps hypothetical. I’ll just kindly leave, my newest opportunity pending. Queues redundant, starting thin, ultimately, visually, widening. 




4 Items, 1 Paragraph:

  • Come up with four things:
  • A specific source of a light (a flashing neon light reading: "21 and Over", a flickering fluorescent bulb, moonlight filtering through drawn shades)
  • A specific object (a pink hairbrush with blonde hair matted in the bristles, a discarded replica of a Dali painting, a baby robin, poking its wobbly head from a rickety nest)
  • A sound using onomatopoeia (the pinging of a glass bottle ricocheting across a cobblestone street, the ching of a handful of coins in a man's pocket, the wet splat of phlegm hitting the sidewalk from the old lady smoking near the laundromat)
  • A specific place (the dingy alley between Brooks St. and 6th Ave., the empty science classroom filled with glass beakers, hot plates, and frogs floating in formaldehyde, the darkened, smoky interior of Flannigan's Pub)
  • Once you create the list, write a one-paragraph story using each of the four items and a single protagonist of your choosing. The story has to briefly introduce the protagonist, put him or her through a struggle (large or mild) and resolve the struggle in one way or another. It's much more fun to write if you keep the list items as random as possible and to put them all together at the end. Don't plan your story prior to creating the list!
My objects:



- The moonlight through tree leaves

- Black ps4 controller
- The splashing of water
- The back of an abandoned school.


Wallowing in own self-pity and fear, I slowly stumble through the maze of wood, fronds, and leaves. Moonlight seeps through the small gaps in the leaves, guiding my path as I make it towards the opening. Oh, right, I'm River. Why I'm in the forest? I couldn't tell you. How I got here? ...I... also... couldn't... tell.... you... Where I'm going? Can you guess? Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, a large building comes into sight. There's silver wire fencing. You know, I could very easily just go around the fence. Or maybe just turned around and walked away. What did I do instead? I jumped it. I jumped the goddamn fence. Sometimes I wonder what's going on in my head. A lot, probably, I bet it mainly pandemonium, a mélange of trivial knowledge. Like ...that I know that mélange means a medley or a mixture and that pandemonium means utter chaos. The splash of a water droplet hitting me on the head draws me out of my own head, a daydream in the middle of the night. Is it really a daydream then? I haven't fallen asleep, so it's not a normal dream. What? School. It's a school. An abandoned school. That's where I am. Right. You can tell by the numerous broken desks lining the back wall. I... I think I may be stuck? And I think I may have cut myself on that fence. My queries are answered when a sharp pain creeps up my leg. I look around for something to quench the pain. A few desks... A... black ps4 controller? A bunch of other rubbish? I would just go back over the fence but considering it hurts to lift my leg higher than a metre, that may not be the best idea. Wandering around the building, I search for an exit, an escape. Nothing, nada. Except for a small gap near the front of the building... Maybe if I just squeeze- Boom! I'm out! Freedom! Now... How do I get home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.