Pages

Friday 23 November 2018

Lost A Bet To A Guy In A Chiffon Skirt, But I Make These High Heels Work

More P!ATD related titles muahahahahahaha - Costume edition.

Okay, no extra blog tasks today, so right into the reflection! Thursday was pretty action-packed in the way of choreography. Like always, we start of the day with our warm up dances to Covergirl, Five More Hours, and Fireball. We then ran through Fat Sam's Grand Slam, singing, before finally starting the blocking for it. We first placed the main actors on stage, the ones who don't have lines beforehand, such as Knuckles, Fat Sam, and Tallulah, then the dancers, then the staff and so on and so forth. The basis of the scene is everyone is in the speakeasy, having conversations, dancing, drinking, working etcetera, etcetera. Fun fact: I actually don't start on stage for this part as there's the short scene between Blousey, Bugsy, Fizzy, and Pop Becker where I ignore Meagan then disappear into a "bookshelf" which is actually just the closed curtains. I end up waiting outside of Nadia's office for a chance to audition! The group spends the first period on this until the interval bell rings.


After interval, we split into our individual groups once again. I went off to Kowhai with the actors, minus Fat Sam and his (her?) gang. Once again, we go through our play, fast forwarding through bits we couldn't do. As we did this, Joanne Jones helped some of our cast members start out with costumes (hence the title) I have already started to think about my own costume/s, which has proven itself to be quite difficult. I don't think anyone truly understands how hard trying to find good, casual, blandish, 1920's dresses actually is, as Blousey isn't exactly a over the top kind of person. I do have a few options so far, including the dress pictured on the left (It looks better being worn, I swear) and a few others Joanne has presented to me. Other than that, the school has a red 20s hat I've been using so far, I have a pair of plain black heels that I think suit my character, and I am currently on the hunt for a light brown trench-type coat. Makeup on the other hand is super easy for me, all I really need is a dark glossy lip, blush above the hollows of my cheeks, a frosty blue on my eyelids, a dark brown in my crease with a lighter brown extending to my brow bone, and a small eyeliner wing. That probably made no sense to a lot of people, I apologise.


Anyway, back to the topic at hand, we went over the acting part of the play for the next two hours, until after lunch when we headed back to our "base" or the whare. Before doing more blocking work, we did a couple small acting warm ups. One involved finding a partner. With the partner, upholding eye contact, we had to count to three. Sounds easy, right? Well, you go off each other, eg. one person says "one" the other person says "two" and the person says "three," so on and so forth. Now, we slowly add in actions. One is now a clap, but two and three stay the same. After that, two is now a wave. You continue this until you finally make three a jump. It's actually a lot harder than it seems. Then, using a grid technique, we found another partner and practised forced perspective/slow motion combat. One person would "slap" the other and the other would refute with a "punch." For the rest of the period, we worked on blocking our finale, "You Give A Little Love." While doing so, we started from Meagan's line where she's directing all the Down and Outs into position. This means I have to somehow find my way up to the front so we can talk about going to Hollywood. This must make no sense to anyone who hasn't seen this... If you haven't watch this one (It's really good). Anyway! During this process I figured out I suck at hugging people as I hit Meagan in the face with my shoulder at least once (Sorry about that one, Meagan) See the previous photo for more proof if that isn't enough. Oh! Oh! Combat scene!! We began to work on the splurge/custard pie fight scene that occurs at the end of the play! I'll be honest, I don't really want to get involved in it? Whether it's giving someone a pie to face or receiving one, it's not really my style. Jess still makes fun of me because I feel bad about smashing a cake in her face (that she asked for) for a food fight scene in her English film.

Anyway, that's all for now! Thanks for reading and I hope you continue to follow our journey through musical theatre!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.